Saturday, January 20, 2018

January 23rd Blog


G. Kirk and M. Okazawa‐Rey pose the questions: "Who Am I?  Who Are My People?"  From there they continue to explain how we form our identities.  All of humanity identities consist of many layers.  When reading this article it did make me think of myself and how I compare to others, including my students, my children, my parents, my grandchildren, and my husband.  I thought about how others have identified me based on situations and looks.  I thought of when I was in high school and elementary school.  It also made me think of my position in my family, and in my work place ; past, and present, and how it evolves.  I could relate to Mrs. Wilde in "YoMiss" by Lisa Wilde, which inspired me to add her diagram to my blog page, and to find this illustration of a woman wearing many different hats.  I could relate to the teachers introducing themselves in the article "Locating Yourself for Your Students," written by Pryar Pramar and Shirley Steinberg.  In reflection to the exposure of these readings, I do think the more hats you wear, the more open you are to identifying with many groups, the more understanding you are to groups you may not seemingly identify with.  It's an awareness many should have, but all do not.  I can relate very much to the quote of Minnie Bruce Sprout in "Who am I?  Who are my people?"  The quote is on page 53:  "a white woman, becoming more aware of her advantaged position.  'As a white woman raised small-town, middle-class, Christian in the Deep South,' she describes her fear of losing her familiar place as she becomes conscious of how her White Privilege affects people of color.   She sees the positive side of this process - 'I gain truth when I expand my constricted eye.'   

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thoughtful post Dawn. A few follow up questions:
    -how do you relate to Ms. Wilde? What about this image speaks to you? What hats do you wear and how do these different hats help you connect/ find empathy with a wide range of groups or students?
    -I also wonder about your response to the final quote. What do you connect with in this quote about the challenge and freedom of reckoning with white privilege?

    Best
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Wilde has a lot to balance and despite the many challenges her position as a teacher brings, she cares about each and every student. Her job is not just a job that pays the bills she worries about. She is concerned about her students and wants to provide for them a safe and caring environment in which they will open up and move forward academically to achieve their successes despite their challenges. She does not stop at caring for her students, the depth goes beyond the classroom and she cares about the reasons why they are not in school. Her depth of caring is not just to get the kids to complete her course so they can graduate, she takes on their concerns and thinks about them at home. I do the same. As a kindergarten teacher I do not just care about teaching my students the standards and the academic curriculum, I care about them as people. I understand the weight of building a solid caring, supportive school environment in which they feel safe and respected. This is the first experience of school for students. Kindergarten. Yet, these students come from their own personal culture which I may not know of but I do get snip its in their behaviors, dispositions, and demeanors. I can relate and want to support them and understand them not only on what I see in front of me, but I have the depth of knowledge beyond just a classroom teacher. I am a mother with three very different children who had very different school experiences despite the fact that they have the same two parents and a supportive home culture that fits into the current norm. The basic definition of family exists in all cultures, as a teacher it is my innate nature to support this and to fill in the gaps for what I sense is needed and they are not receiving at home. Possibly, then, they will be able to connect and find happiness, support, and success in my class and will feel their worth.

      Regarding White Privilege, it is something I am really just becoming aware of. In this awareness is a communal sadness I feel for society. I am not completely clear on yet. More to come...

      Delete
  2. Dawn,

    I like the illustration you found of the woman wearing many different hats and I think your takeaway is exactly right, that "the more hats you wear, the more open you are to identifying with many groups, the more understanding you are to groups you may not seemingly identify with." I think that this perspective is not spoken of enough in our society. Technology probably plays a role in allowing us to isolate/segregate ourselves. There is also the us/them mentality that's becoming ever more apparent in sports, politics, race and class relations. We segregate our schools too. I work at a private special needs school where my students are placed out-of-district because they don't behave "normally." I understand why this is done but feel that this further isolates my students from normalcy and the "normals" lose opportunities to learn compassion for and adapt to the "other." Like wearing many different hats, being exposed to the "other," even in small ways, can help you become more understanding of groups you may not seemingly identify.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete