Saturday, February 3, 2018

Blog #3

A way for awareness to reach and be heard beyond the classroom and into the homes of society.

Prior to this week's readings, I had heard "Pro Black Isn't Anti White" but was confused by what that meant.  The short video "4 BlackLives Matter Myths", and my comprehension of the three readings "Black Lives Matter Herstory," "Why Teaching Black Lives Matter Matters," and "Meet a school District that brought BLM into the classroom -and learn how you could do it too," finally brought me to more of an comprehensible understanding of what I think is Afro Pessimism, and anti black, and what I can do as a teacher and a member of society (regardless of the color of my skin) in support of "Black Lives Matter."


I feel as if finally, I am understanding, that it is not held against me to have felt the injustice of Trayvon Martin, when it was happening and I heard of it on the news and still today when I reflect back on it.  I think it's more of taking a stand and saying that Black Lives do Matter as much as all lives matter.  I remember exactly where I was when I heard of Freddie Gray and how I felt wronged for him.  As white woman I thought how wrong!  As a mother my heart broke for Freddie Gray and for his family.  As a member of society I wanted justice for Freddie Gray.  I wanted the persons responsible for killing him through callousness and neglect (once in custody) should meet justice and should become a role model for what NOT to do as a person in authority (or any member of society). These examples should become the moment that forces our eyes to open and for us to take a position, stand together and make change.


Finally, in the "Meet a school District that brought BLM into the classroom -and learn how you could do it too" article they suggest Students as young as kindergartners learning about youth activism and responding to questions like “What’s a value that you can stand for?”  I do agree Kindergarteners do learn about values at this age.  I feel this simple suggestion is one I can carry to my classroom and become part of the culture and climate I teach in.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your thoughtful post Dawn. I think you bring up an important issue and a big question (or series of questions). What does it mean to support BLM as a white woman? What does it mean to engage BLM as an early childhood educator? And on and on...I hope we'll have a chance to explore these tomorrow.

    Best
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete